As your therapist I will keep your information private. I will only disclose information about you when you give written consent or when I am required to do so by law, which means in the following circumstances:
- in case of risk of harm to yourself or another person
- in case of abuse or risk of abuse to a child
- legal requirements such as responding to a subpoena
- reporting of unethical behavior of a colleague to a professional regulatory body
- defending myself against a complaint filed with my professional regulatory body
Your files are stored under lock and key for seven years after we finish working together. If an Employee Assistance Program arranged your counseling, the file is sent to the EAP for legal storage.
You may request access to your record for a fee of $30. I will assist you to understand all that has been written in the file. Most records are handwritten during sessions.
File information sent to third parties at your request will entail the standard hourly fee.